CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

And The Cows Came Home....

While daffodils, tulips and my precious hyacinth signal the start of Spring, the true confirmation is when the cows come home! Today they arrived by the trailer loads. They spend the winter on the main farm, cozy and snug in smaller pens and barns where they are fed hay that has been stored up all year. (with the exception of last year when the drought was so bad, there was no hay to mow...we actually bought hay that had been bailed in Texas!!) Anyhoo today they arrived, wild and rambunctious, and seemingly a bit pissed off by the 1 mile ride to our place. There was a lot of kicking and bawling (no I am not talking about my kids I promise!) and the bull was bucking up a storm. However once they were let out of the main pen into the pasture they seemed quite happy indeed. There is one adorable little calf I am going to try to get a picture of when they calm down. I named her Nelly, and she is all black except for a white half circle on her forehead and a half circle under her chin....I thought she was the cutest thing until I noticed her, uh, well let's just say the name has been changed to Willy.

My kids are very excited to have the cows back. I guess I am too. They place seems a little empty without them. I enjoy having them around until they wean the calves. They leave the Mama's here and the babies just go across the road. That makes for a few noisy nights around here....but it's all part of the circle of life. I remember my days of nursing babies...I cried a little when they gave me up too....

0 comments: